Current Residence: Huntsville, Alabama
Profession: I am a licensed Life/Health insurance agent currently employed with American General Life & Retirement (AIG) full-time. I am ABO (American Board of Optometry) certified and a CPO (Certified Paraoptametric Tech).
1. When were you at Maryhurst? 1986 – 1990
2. What programs were you in (campus, foster care, independent living, etc.)? Euphrasia campus program
3. How did Maryhurst help you? It is so hard to describe how Maryhurst helped me in just a few words. Maryhurst saved my life — and to me as a 40-year-old woman, that is putting it lightly. I came to Maryhurst a broken, hurt, damaged, and angry child with no capacity to love or know how or what love really was for myself or anyone else. I felt I deserved all the wrong that had happened to me because I was convinced I was no good and had no human value. There was so much brokenness in my life.
But Maryhurst planted seeds deep within me that eventually produced strong roots that allowed me to become a strong, independent woman who loves God, herself, her children, her life and all that is around her. I was transformed by the hours and hours of conversation and counseling that at the time, I probably thought were pointless and wasteful. With their constant love, understanding, encouragement, discipline, and factors that I don’t even have words for, Maryhurst became a permanent part of my life and my heart — and eventually the lives of my daughters. Every time a chance presents itself, we are all excited to come visit. Like coming to see family across the miles, I am always excited to see those who impacted me so deeply and whom I love so much to this day. Like true family, they love to see me, too, and hear about my life.
4. What is your life like now (job, family, school, etc)? I am a full-time student at Athens State University. I am in my junior year, pursuing a BS in Psychology with the intention of pursuing my Masters and further, if life allows, and God guides in that direction. Life can be a bit crazy as a full-time employee, student, and a single parent of beautiful girls who are the focus of my life. I am highly energetic (always have been) and always have a smile. It’s hard for others to be “down” around me because I love life and reach for the stars every day. I had all of this within me all my life, but it took Maryhurst to help me tap into it.
5. Is there anything you’d like to say to Maryhurst? May God bless each and every staff person at Maryhurst for what they give from their hearts every day.