Many times our residents come to us with only a few items packed in a trash bag. Some come to Maryhurst with nothing at all.
As soon as a child arrives at Maryhurst’s campus, she receives a set of health & hygiene items, personal care products, and clothing. Entering residential care can be a difficult transition, and we do everything we can to make the experience of coming to Maryhurst comfortable and reassuring.
The items in these baskets are more than just living essentials – they represent ways for the children we serve to feel at ease and open to working together with our staff and begin overcoming their trauma.
Health & Beauty Items:
- Water-resistant storage case
- Large reusable shopping bags and/or drawstring bags
- Shampoo & Conditioner (regular size preferred) Both Caucasian & African American products needed. African American hair care brand: Shea Moisture, Cantu Natural, & Pantene Pro-V Relaxed Hair products can be found at Target or Wal-Mart.
- African American Hair Moisturizer – Coconut Oil
- Toothpaste & Toothbrush
- Body Wash
- Hair Brush – Both Bristle Brush and Cushion Brushes needed.
- Pony Tail Holders, Headbands,and Scarf Head Wrap or Sleep Turban
- Stuffed Animal
- Twin Comforter & Sheet Sets & Pillowcases
- #MP3 player (no camera)
- Journal & Gel Pens (no spiral bound)
- #Young adult books
- Snacks: Ramen Noodles, Chips, Candy
- Fidget Toys & Sensory Items
- Word Search and Puzzle Books
- Underwear (Adult Sizes: XS– XXL)
- Sports Bra’s (Adult Sizes: XS – XXL)
- Socks (All Sizes)
- Sweatpants “Jogger Style” (Adult Sizes: XS – XXL)
- #Athletic Shoes (Adult Sizes: 5-11)
- Slide Sandals (Adult Sizes: 5-11)
- Pajama Top & Bottom Sets (Adult Sizes: XS – XXL)
- #Crew Neck Sweatshirts – without images or writing, any color (Adult Sizes: XS – XXL)
- #T-shirts – long and short sleeve, without images or writing (Adult Sizes: XS-XXL)\
- #Jeans (Junior Sizes: 0-17) (Women’s Sizes: 0 – 18) (Plus Sizes: 18-24)
# -indicates when gently used items are accepted.
For more information, please contact: Liz Nickley 502-271-4526 or email@example.com